Sunday, September 7, 2008

Genre Film

I choose the Western genre.  I've never been particularly fond of westerns, but when I read the description of the Western genre I become intrigued.  The Western typically portrays the conquering of nature by civilization.  Westerns also emphasize honor instead of the law.  They also tend to focus on nomadic people such as a cowboys and outlaw gangs.  

What really got my interested was the categorization of such films as No Country for Old Men and Die Hard as being westerns.  So I choose The Proposition.  This film is set in Australia in the late 1800's.  The English are trying to civilize the land and in doing so the local police in a small town are trying to capture the Burns gang.  Two of the gang members are captured and in order to catch the third, the police keep one gang member and set the other free to go kill the third.  The nomadic lifestyle of the gang as well as the effort to civilize the land by the police are dead giveaways for the Western genre.

This film was amazing.  The Australian landscape alone was worth the watch, but the acting and story were quite amazing too.  This film gave me a completely different opinion of what a Western can be.

No comments: